The Housing Department is committed to providing, promoting and maintaining adequate, safe, sustainable and affordable housing which strives for a greener environment and planned development. Our key objective is to promote homeowner responsibility, home ownership and personal growth.
General Roles and Responsibilities
The Housing Department is responsible for the safety and health standards for housing, with a focus on establishing efficient housing programs as per the housing policy. Housing programs include but not restricted to: Section 95 houses; Band-owned houses; elder’s maintenance programs; and maintenance packages for privately owned homes.
Housing Department Goals and Objectives
- Promote home ownership and empower Band members to be self-reliant.
- Ensure access to adequate, safe, suitable and affordable housing programs, with the intention of building a stronger community.
- Build capacity to strengthen the skills, abilities, and competencies of Band staff and community members.
- Establish communication channels to reduce misunderstandings, promote healthier relationships and to lower barriers of communication.
- Promote financial sustainability, while assisting members with real-world tools to overcome barriers to access the various housing programs available to them.
- Respect all cultural views and values and promote Secwepemc culture into Band delivered programs, when possible.